Take steps to prevent heat loss and cooling of your home.
- To keep a home warm, good quality thermal insulation is needed –
- Under the roof
- On the inside surface of external walls
- Glass panes of windows must be covered with blinds or heavy curtains.
- Gaps must be sealed to prevent cold air seeping into the home.
Understand How Heat Heats.
- Radiant heat transfers heat from a heated fireplace to nearby objects people, floor or wall. A good radiant heater will heat a large part of a home if used continuously for many hours. All fireplaces will give radiant heat, that is, you will feel warm when you sit near a fire.
- Convection heat is produced by cold air from the room being sucked in and heated within a chamber in the firebox and released back into the room.This hot air drifts around the house heating spaces far away from the fireplaces making the whole house to heat faster. Ceiling fan can help disperse and spread hot air that settles around the ceiling.
- The best heaters will have both radiant and convection heat.